top of page


Highthorn 2

Wath Athletic 1

Replay:  First match 1-1

Attedance: 4000

Hampden Road,


1st Match: H: Joss Nevitt W: Rogers

Replay:  H:  Joss Nevitt & Charlie Bisby  W: Winstanley

Ring O Bells.jpg

A copy of this photo hangs in the Ring O'Bells pub with the caption:  "Swinton Town FC 1899-1900 Ring O'Bells, landlord - Mr. Youren"
Standing (L to R):  Mr. Youren, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6
Chairs (L to R) : Matthew Ardron, C2, C3, C4, C5
Floor (L to R): Leonard Ardron, F2


Tommy Thorpe went on to play 165 matches in the Football League, mainly for Barnsley.
He managed to score a goal in one match!
He is still Barnsley's oldest player - at 40 - in 1922.

SDT 30 3 03.jpg

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Monday 30 March 1903


Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Monday 13 April 1903

SDT 13 4 03.jpg

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Monday 13 April 1903

From Kilnhurst Heritage...

By 1900 the growth of another Kilnhurst team Highthorn, overtook Kilnhurst Town in their search for success.  Highthorn was a stand alone football club, although the hamlet of Highthorn with no more than three dozen houses is within the boundaries of Kilnhurst. 


It is likely that the team would have been based around the only public house ,The Rock Tavern.  The home ground was the old forge ground, best part of a mile away through Kilnhurst. 


The ground was still in regular use up to the 1950’s but was always low lying and prone to flooding. 


By 1903 Highthorn had become the premiere club in Kilnhurst and reached the final of the Montagu Cup in that year.  The final was between Highthorn known as the Rockites and Wath.  The Highthorn team on that Easter day  was as follows.













Three of these players would go on to play professional football: Tommy Thorpe, Tommy Tomkins and Ted Burkinshaw.


The final was played before one of the biggest crowds at Hampden Road of approximately four thousand people on Easter Saturday.



Despite awful climatic conditions, the ropes were lined with enthusiastic supporters from both sides.  Rain came down in torrents at regular intervals and the ground became extremely muddy and slippery which  made good football impossible. 

In the early stages of the game Wath did all the pressing, the ball often in dangerous proximity to the Highthorn goal.  After twenty minutes Rogers struck a fierce shot from twenty yards that gave Tommy Thorpe in the Highthorn goal no chance and Wath were in front. 

Throughout the first half Wath had all the play and Highthorne were penned in to their own half.  Winstanley twice had the ball in the net for Wath only to be ruled offside.  At half time the score was Highthorne nil Wath one.

Immediately on resumption Robinson fouled Joss Nevitt in the penalty area and Highthorne were awarded a penalty, which fullback Len Ardron took but Wath keeper Manbridge made a fine save. 


Eventually Joss Nevitt scored for Highthorn with a fine solo effort but in the last fifteen minutes Wath again had all the play and Highthorn were lucky to be saved by the crossbar on two occasions. 


After ninety minutes the score remained one goal each and a replay was arranged. The replay two weeks later again at Mexborough Town’s Hampden Road attracted another large crowd and the hospital charity benefitted greatly from these two games.



In the first half the two teams were evenly matched, both goalkeepers giving fine displays. The score at half time was nil nil.  After only ten minutes of the second half Joss Nevitt scored for Highthorn (previously having another effort disallowed) but within a few minutes Winstanley, the best forward on the field equalised for Wath.


Ten minutes before the end Charlie Bisby scored a second for Highthorn and this time Wath were unable to respond.  The final score finished Highthorn two Wath one and Highthorn became the fifth winners of the much coveted Montagu Cup.

The cup and medals were presented by Mr Drabble, president of Mexborough Cricket Club who said that in its fifth year of playing the cup continued to be a great success and forty two pounds had been raised for the hospital funds from the first game alone.


The Highthorn team were accompanied on their way home by the G.C. brass band with the cup prominently displayed to the great acclaim of local well wishers as they passed through Highthorn on their way to Kilnhurst.


Kilnhurst and Highthorn continued to play in The South Yorkshire Alliance League.

proof dragon from wath.jpg

Proof that Dragon United are from Wath

bottom of page