top of page


Rawmarsh Welfare 2

Bowbroom Working Mens' Club 1

Goals:  RW: Swales (2)  BWMC: Priestley (pen)

Bowbrook 51 or 55 - Copy.jpg

Bowbroom FC:
Back Row (L to R): Jimmy Linacre, 2, Les Harwood, Frank Cocking, Eric Dawson, Ernie Hammond.
Front Row (L to R): Geoff Priestly, Colin Whitehouse, mascot?, Archie Allen, Joe Hallam, 5

2 may be a Trickett?

late aopril 51.jpg

From Gary Cooper's Forgotten Heroes
Re-arranged final :Rawmarsh Welfare 2 Bowbroom 1
.  The teams met a fortnight later and Bowbroom once again gave a good account of themselves. It was only the magnificent efforts of the Rawmarsh reserve team goalkeeper Whitehead that prevented Bowbroom from taking a deserved half time lead as the first half ended goalless. Early in the second half Rawmarsh full back Ray Cooper handled the ball in the penalty area and Priestley duly scored to give the underdogs the lead.  Rawmarsh appeared to be shocked into action and it was the class of the prolific Les Swales that finally settled matters for the second successive season. He equalised with a shot from just inside the area and then decided the tie by scoring “a magnificent winner with a bullet shot from the right wing that flew into the top left hand corner of the goal.” From this point Rawmarsh dominated the remainder of the game to secure their third consecutive Mexborough Montagu Charity Cup success. The hero of the day was once again the peerless Swales, who had scored six goals in the last two finals, to guarantee Rawmarsh a place in the history books. Rawmarsh Welfare remain only the second team ever to win the Mexborough Montagu Cup three years in succession, equalling the record of Hickleton Main who won in 1910, 1911 and 1912.

late aopril 51.jpg

From Gary Cooper's Forgotten Heroes
Abandoned final at Rawmarsh Welfare 2 Bowbroom 1
In the 1951 final, Rawmarsh Welfare were involved in yet another abandoned game.  They had set about defending their title once again and progressed to the final for the third successive season, on this occasion primarily playing their second team with just one or two first teamers to strengthen the side. Their opponents in the final were Bowbroom WMC, a side from the Mexborough and District league who had provided a semi-final upset by comprehensively defeating the unfortunate Denaby Rovers, losing semi-finalists for three consecutive seasons. The game began in torrential rain, and with Rawmarsh being red-hot favourites, they took an expected lead as early as the tenth minute. It was yet another cup final goal from Les Swales that gave Welfare the advantage and they seemed to be on their way to a comfortable victory. However, due to a degree of complacency, the underdogs were allowed to fight back and replied through Hallam before Hartley almost gave Bowbroom the lead when he drove a shot against the Rawmarsh crossbar. With conditions steadily worsening, a mistake from Bowbroom full back Dawson gifted Rawmarsh the lead again when he sliced the sodden ball in attempting a clearance and put through his own goal. Just after half time, with the conditions impossible, the referee was forced to abandon the final for the first time in the history of the competition. The referee, Mr C. Taylor of Conisbrough declared: “I abandoned the game because of the waterlogged condition of the pitch and I was unable to see the marking out lines”.  Although the Rawmarsh team protested, it was to no avail and the final had to be re-played.  

31 3 51.jpg
12 2 51.jpg

Rotherham Pals 5 LNER 1 (replay)

Teams to reach the 3rd round:  Dearne Athletic, Kilnhurst Colliery, Silverwood, Rawmarsh Welfare, Rotherham Pals, Swinton Athletic, Newhill, Bramley Sports


Denaby Rovers 10 Yorkshire Tar Distillers 5
Bramley Sports 5 Newhill 1
Bowbroom beat Kilnhurst


Rawmarsh v Bramley
Bowbroom v Denaby Rovers


bottom of page