top of page


Rawmarsh Welfare 3 Kilnhurst Colliery 1

After a replay - 1st match 2 - 2


Rawmarsh Welfare players and supporters pictured outside of the Horse and Jockey pub with the Rotherham and District Charity Cup and the Mexborough Montagu Hospital Charity Cup (Gary Cooper)

Not sure on year but Kilnhurst.jpg

Kilnhurst : unsure of the year: 

Back Row (L to R): B1, Jack Taylor, Tommy Dungworth, Frank? Senior, Walt Youran, Walt Taylor

Front Row (L to R): George Frith, Ray Dixon, Jack Kerry, Les Harpham, Terry Staniforth maybe?

20 4 1950.jpg
montagu cup 2.jpg

Unusual report of the first final which finished 2-2 (after the previous year, 1949, the teams had shared the trophy.
A more conventional report of the replayed final is below...

From Gary Cooper's "Forgotten Heroes
Final:  Rawmarsh Welfare 2 Kilnhurst Colliery 2
The scene was set as the teams, who had played out a stalemate in the previous final, lined up again on Easter Monday 1950 at the Hampden Road home of Mexborough Athletic.  Jack Haythorne’s prediction appeared to have merit as Kilnhurst began strongly, helped by the driving wind and rain at their backs. After only seven minutes Kilnhurst took the lead through George Frith, who had by this time come to the attention of Football League scouts, and only the outstanding performance of reserve team goalkeeper Jim Clark in the Rawmarsh goal prevented Kilnhurst from stretching their lead. The match report contemplated “how Kilnhurst failed to add to their half time tally remains a mystery”. It was completely against the run of play that Rawmarsh snatched an equaliser through an individual piece of brilliance from outside left Colin Chaplin. He gathered the ball near the touchline then weaved his way inside beating several players before unleashing a venomous low shot that had the Kilnhurst ‘keeper floundering.  In the second half, with the elements now in their favour, Rawmarsh attacked from the restart and went close on many occasions before being hit with a sucker punch on the counter from Harpham which gave Kilnhurst an unlikely 2-1 lead.  Rawmarsh renewed their efforts and were finally rewarded with only a few minutes remaining after incessant pressure when Charlie Ardron bundled home the equaliser following a goalmouth scramble. After yet another period of extra time, and having played a total of 360 minutes of football over the two finals, the equivalent of four matches, there was still no result.

montagu cup semi final.jpg

From Gary Cooper's "Forgotten Heroes
Rawmarsh were to visit Denaby Rovers for the second year in succession and Kilnhurst were paired against Parkgate Welfare. Both sides duly progressed to the final, Rawmarsh following a narrow 1-0 victory, this time courtesy of a rare goal from left full back Jim Wilson and Kilnhurst with a more emphatic 4-0 win over Parkgate.

The 1950 Montagu Cup final was an exact re-run of the previous season, but the 1950 version was played out in awful conditions, heavy rain lashed by strong winds and the match was a grim hard fought affair. Throughout the first half the Kilnhurst team attacked with the force of the wind and rain at their backs.  The large contingent of Rawmarsh supporters were disappointed when Kilnhurst went ahead after seventeen minutes, Dixon’s raking shot was partially saved by the Rawmarsh keeper Clarke but he pushed it straight out to Frith who curled the ball into the net.  Within two minutes Rawmarsh were level when left winger Chaplain found himself in a scoring position and equalised with a shot that never left the ground.  How Kilnhurst failed to score again before the interval is a mystery, wing half brothers Jack and Walt Taylor were shooting in at will without success. After the interval Rawmarsh had the advantage of the weather and it was a surprise that after sixty five minutes Kilnhurst again took the lead when Harpham smashed the ball home from a Kerry pass.  Ten minutes later Ardron scrambled the ball home from close range and the whistle went with the final score at 2-2. Twenty two bedraggled players who gave their best in appalling conditions trooped off the field to shelter.  The crowd had been kept down to 2500 by the weather.  A week later Kilnhurst lost the replay that was to be their last ever appearance in the Montagu Cup final all of 64 years ago. Kilnhurst’s successful team of the post war years broke up in the early 1950’s as the best players moved on some to midland league teams and others to successful local clubs, like Rawmarsh Welfare and Parkgate. The 1951/52 season WOOD NELSON       THACKERAY            J TAYLOR             SENIOR          W TAYLOR           HAYTHORNE     FRITH        NEWBY    PALMER     WELLINGHAM As can be seen the above team showed many changes from the 1949 team, but under the guidance of Jack Haythorne, Kilnhurst developed a network of teams, under 16, under18 and the senior team, eventually in the late 1950’s Kilnhurst had again developed a very successful football side.

RW 1949-50.png

Rawmarsh Welfare 1949-50


Both the above images are of Kilnhust teams between 1948 and 1950.  Unable, as yet, to establish a date.

Semi Finals
Rawmarsh Welfare 1 Denaby Rovers 0
Kilnhurst Colliery 4 Parkgate Welfare 0



Fourth Round
Lord Conyers 1 Parkgate Welfare 1
Rawmarsh Welfare 2 New Stubbin 0
Wath & West Melton 1 Denaby Rovers 4
Dearne Arthletic 1 Kilnhurst Colliery 4

Third Round
Kilnhurst Colliery beat Swinton Athletic

Second Round

Denaby Rovers 4 Baker's Sports 0
Hickleton Main 8 Mexborough Amateurs 3

Swinton Athletic 4 Houghton Main 1


50 MONT APRIL 15.png
1950 CARTOON.png
Wlat Youren 1950 front.jpg
Walt Youren 1950 back.jpg

Walt Youren's medal

bottom of page